Updated: May 2, 2019
1. Tell me briefly about your latest book – what is it about and what motivated you to write it?
a. Starburst is about a girl who was taken from her family at a young age. Nova suffered a great deal as a child before being thrust into the human world with no memories of who she is, where she belongs, or who her family is. The book starts with Nova’s journey beyond the Vein-the barrier that separates the humans from supernatural beings-to search for home. As an adult, she is desperate for a true familial connection and knows there is something big coming for her, she just doesn’t know what that is until it’s almost too late. Finding out she is royalty and meeting the love of her life along the way, wasn’t in the original plans. It becomes clear that Nova is more powerful than anyone expected and will need to work hard to learn how to control her new abilities……This is a story that has been with me for quite some time. The main character holds a big part of my heart and I just hope that I was able to do justice in telling the first part of her story. Part two will be in the works soon.
2. How long does it take you to write a book?
a. Starburst took about a year for me to write.
3. You’ve had experience with both self-publishing and traditional publishing. Which do you prefer, and why?
a. I am published through Wild Dreams publishing. I haven’t ever done any self-published works yet but would not be opposed to it. I trust my team of editors and my publisher and I think that’s the most important part if you aren’t self-publishing.
4. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
a. For me, it’s about writing when the story wants to be written. I work during the day so I end up scribbling notes on any and everything I can if it happens while I’m there so I don’t forget any of it and I can type it in later.
5. What sort of networking have you done as an author, and what have been the results?
a. Honestly I’m horrible with networking and marketing. I’m not great with technology so it’s difficult for me. Where I have had success though is on facebook with my publishing house.
6. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
a. I like to write things out pen and paper first before transferring it to my computer. It just feels right to do it that way for me. Plus that forces me to read and revise as I type it out.
7. How do books get published?
a. The process I go through to get my books published is a lot of writing, rewriting, editing, revise (numerous times) then talking with my publishers about setting it into motion.
8. What are the most important things you’ve learned about publishing that you didn’t know when you started out?
a. You have so much more say in your work than you think. When you’re getting your work edited, it’s more suggestions (yes usually helpful but sometimes you have to go with your gut.) Trust your gut!
9. What other projects are you currently working on?
a. Haven’s Discovery is with my publisher almost ready for publication. I have a Wolf Shifter series in the works as well as the second to Starburst. (And several anthologies)
10. How can readers learn more about your books?
www.kaegalla.com as well as following me on facebook and joining my readers group for updates